Many have asked me about the option on how to automatically enroll AD computer (Hybrid domain joined) in Intune MDM.
Let’s assume the following as a main pre-requisite
- The computer are AD-joined PCs running Windows 10, version 1709 or later
- The enterprise has configured a mobile device management (MDM) service (Intune is enabled)
- Devices are synchronized with Azure Active Directory
- The device should not already be enrolled in Intune using the classic agents (devices managed using agents will fail enrollment with error 0x80180026)
So now, it is time to add those synced computer objects, that should be appearing in your Azure subscription, to your MDM service. For this process we will use a GPO setting.
If you do not see the policy, it may be because you don’t have the ADMX installed for Windows 10, version 1803 or version 1809. To fix the issue, follow these steps:
- Run GPEdit.msc
- Create a Group Policy Object (GPO) and enable the Group Policy Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > MDM > Enable automatic MDM enrollment using default Azure AD credentials.
- If you do not see the policy, it may be because you don’t have the ADMX installed for Windows 10, version 1803 or version 1809. To fix the issue, follow these steps
- Download: 1803 –>Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803) or 1809 –> Administrative Templates for Windows 10 October 2018 Update (1809).
- Install the package on the Primary Domain Controller (PDC).
- Navigate, depending on the version to the folder: 1803 –> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803) v2, or
1809 –> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows 10 October 2018 Update (1809) v2
- Copy policy definitions folder to C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain\Policies.
- Restart the Primary Domain Controller for the policy to be available. This procedure will work for any future version as well
- Create a Security Group in your PC and all the computer (PCs) you would like to add to Intune.
- Link the GPO to the device OU
- Filter the GPO using Security Groups (Adding the new group created)
- Enforce a GPO link to the OU
Computer will start showing up in the Intune portal as enrolled in MDM.