Multi-factor authentication is now part of Office 365 and available for all users. Any of the following may be used for the second factor of authentication.
- Call my mobile phone. The user receives a phone call that asks them to press the pound key. Once the pound key is pressed, the user is logged in.
- Text code to my mobile phone. The user receives a text message containing a six-digit code that they must enter into the portal.
- Call my office phone. This is the same as Call my mobile phone, but it enables the user to select a different phone if they do not have their mobile phone with them.
- Notify me through app. The user configured a smartphone app and they receive a notification in the app that they must confirm the login. Smartphone apps are available for Windows Phone, iPhone, and Android devices.
- Show one-time code in app. The same smartphone app is used. Instead of receiving a notification, the user starts the app and enters the six-digit code from the app into the portal.
For more information about Multi-Factor Authentication for Office 365 please read the TechNet article Multi-Factor Authentication for Office 365